Wednesday 31 August 2011

Battery Power

Introduction

In my project I was trying to find out what battery lasts the longest. I will also try to determine if the cost of the battery has anything to do with the power it has.

Hypothesis

I think the Duracell battery will last the longest. I also believe that the more expensive the battery the longer it will last.

Materials

paper, wires, stop watch, battery holders, metal connectors, computer, light bulbs, and graph paper. Batteries - Duracell, Everready, Energizer, and BA 30 "Army batteries."

Research/Sources of Information

I researched on how a battery produces electricity. The battery is a dry cell. A chemical reaction between the electrolyte and the zinc electrode helps produce electricity.

Vocabulary

  • Electrodes - The negative or positive part of an electric cell.
  • Electrolyte - A liquid or moist substance that conducts electricity.
  • Dry Cell - An electrical cell that has a moist electrolyte.
  • Terminal - The negative or positive end of an electrolyte.

Experiment

I experimented by testing the power of four different brands of batteries. I did this by hooking up the batteries to a light bulb. I then kept track of the length of time each bulb stayed lit. I tested two batteries from each of the four brands.

Results

After the testing was completed the following results were recorded: The Duracell battery lasted the longest, 101 hours and 20 minutes; Energizer battery, second, 99 hours and 17 minutes; Eveready battery, third, 28 hours and 30 minutes, and last but not least was the BA 30 batteries, 25 hours ad 58 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment